Stir fried cooked rice in a wok or a pan with added eggs , veggies and seasoning of personal choice is termed as fried rice. There are many variations of fried rice depending on locality, country or household.
Egg fried rice is stir fried cooked rice with added eggs. Adding veggies to it depends on one’s personal choice. It is rich in proteins, calcium from eggs and carbohydrates from rice.
Here is a simple yet flavorful recipe of egg fried rice with basic ingredients found in any Indian kitchen. Trust me, besides pampering your taste buds, it’s also a quick fix for your hunger.
Egg Fried Rice-Indian style/ Street food style egg fried rice.
Cook the rice and keep aside. (Previously cooked any leftover rice can also be used. I have used unsalted rice here)
Heat oil in a cooking pot on high flame. Add one sliced onion to it and fry until they start turning lightly golden in color. Then lower the flame to medium and add the green chilies and curry leaves.
Then add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt and saute for 30 seconds.
Add the eggs and cook covered for 2 minutes, then start scrambling them. (Here add the eggs, side by side without overlapping them.)
After scrambling the eggs into 1-inch pieces, add the cooked rice and mix well.
Finally add the lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and another 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder. Mix well and cover and cook for 7-8 minutes on low flame. Add the coriander leaves at the end before plating.
While plating, top the fried rice with very thinly sliced raw onion and serve hot.
- Add salt and red chili in divided portions as shown with eggs and rice. This will give a nice spicy flavor to the dish.
- Any leftover cooked plain rice can be used for this recipe.
- Topping with fresh onions at the last makes the dish irresistible. The freshness of onion with the eggs gives a mouthwatering unique flavor to the dish. For this slice the onions vertically as thin as possible.
- This dish can be eaten on its own without any other accompaniment.
- Unsalted plain cooked rice is used in the recipe shown here. If you are using salted rice then be careful while adding salt in the dish.