Shahi tukda is an Indian style bread pudding in which fried bread is soaked in thickened milk which is flavored with spices like cardamom, saffron, or rose water and topped with dry fruits. This dish was originated in Hyderabad in the royal kitchen of Nizams and Qutub shahis, thus goes with ”shahi” as the title which means royal in Urdu.
It also goes with the name double ka meetha which refers to milk bread called ”double roti” locally, as it swells up into double the size after soaking milk.
Shahi tukra is a simple yet very delicious, rich dessert which is served in dinner parties, weddings, get-togethers, and on festivities like eid-ul-zuha.
Here’s is a simple recipe of shahi tukda in 3 simple steps. Team it up with Nizami Chicken Biryani or Nizami Mutton Biryani or tahari to make a full course Hyderabadi meal.
Shahi tukra recipe/ Double ka meetha in 3 steps / Bread pudding
Step 2: Making milk sauce
In a cooking pot boil the milk on high flame and reduce it to half by constant stirring at regular intervals. (The milk should thicken nicely and should be reduced to 1.5 glasses approx.)
Now add cardamom powder, sugar, and condensed milk to the thickened milk and give this mixture a boil.
Finally, add the food color and mix well. Switch off the flame. The milk sauce is ready.
Step 3: Assembling
Slice the almonds, cashews, and pistachios. In a pan heat about 1 teaspoon of oil or ghee and fry the almonds, cashews, pistachios, and raisins on a low flame for 1 minute. Keep this aside.
In a serving dish arrange the fried bread slices either slant as shown or horizontally as you wish.
Now pour the hot milk sauce over the bread slices. (If your milk sauce has cooled down then give it a boil and then pour over the bread)
Now garnish it with fried almonds, pistachios, and raisins. Leave it for 15 -20 minutes for the bread to soak milk sauce. That's it. Shahi tukda is ready to be served.
- As Double ka meetha tastes best when it has a slight crunch to it, do not cook the dessert after adding milk sauce to bread. As this will only make your bread soggy and lose its crispiness.
- The longer you air dry the bread slices the better.
- Be attentive while frying the bread, as the bread turns to darker shades of brown very quickly. Be careful yet fast while flipping the bread, fry only until it turns golden in color. Always maintain a constant medium flame to avoid overcooking of bread.
- You can also lay the bread slices horizontally as per your liking.
- Additional mawa or khoya(milk solids) can be added instead of condensed milk to make milk sauce. For this just mix 200grams of mawa in milk and double the quantity of sugar, since mawa has no sugar in it.
- You can also use sugar-free or stevia leaf sugar or honey in place of sugar to make it healthier.
- Using food color is optional, you can either skip it or use natural saffron or orange food color or yellow-orange food color of your choice.
- Cardamom can be replaced with rose water in this recipe for a beautiful aroma and flavor.
- Using ghee in combination is optional. You can also make it with only oil.